The Platte Canyon Fire Protection District wants all of you to have a safe winter and spring.
We have put together some information to help keep you and your families and your homes safe from
fire and other dangers.
- Use UL safety rated surge protectors and avoid hooking extension cords into other extension
- Unplug or turn off holiday lights while you are asleep or away from the residence.
- Never leave candles unattended when lit. Make sure you extinguish them when you are not around. Unattended candles and small children do not mix.
- Replace the battery in your CO detector and smoke detectors. A good rule of thumb is when
the time changes (Spring and Fall)
- Have your chimneys cleaned – this is for pellet, corn, coal or wood fired devices.
- Never burn building materials or treated lumber in your “in-home” stove. Most give off
extremely toxic and harmful gases.
- Clean out and store “cold” ashes in metal cans with a lid. NEVER store ashes in boxes or
plastic or place them on your deck. “Cold” ashes can stay warm enough to restart a fire for
up to 7 days.
- Install spark arrestors or wire baskets on top of your chimney.
- Do not stack wood up against the home or on decks.
- During blizzards or heavy snow events, vents for gas appliances and/or furnaces may be
blocked. Open windows in sleeping and living areas approximately ½” to 1” to allow for
fresh air exchange – this helps reduce the possibility of CO gas build-up.
- Keep snow and ice cleared from exterior stairs and walkways.
- Make sure that your home is clearly addressed with reflective numbers to assist emergency personnel in finding you if and when you may need help. Addresses at the entrance to your driveway and on the house may be needed.
- Burn permits are required for any outside burning. These are available at
Station 2, 153 Dellwood Drive, Bailey, 303-838-5853.
For emergencies dial - 911